Breaking News

Through his Lens:The Chip Whistle Interview

Discovering his gift to share with the world has been his greatest notion. Finding out through his lens he could possibly bring a smile or a focus so dedicated that the viewers could forget about their hardships and ailments. To find the laughter hidden deep, in someone who may have lost it forever. Losing and rediscovering himself through his own lens. Finding the strength to say and feel what others may be afraid to. His generousity is uncanny, and strive is based solely on the return. Laugh, cry, think, debate with Chip as he wishes to take you through the lives of many shot through his vivid lens. This is the official writeup of Chip Whistle only at #v2.




Tell us who is Chip Whistle?



Chip is no one really. I am a guy who likes to tell stories to the world and possibly have a unique way to tell them. I am an easy going guy who thinks laughter is the key to everything. I am a Christian, a father and in a weird way maybe a healer. Healing people one story at a time. I am rare in the sense that I know my purpose here on earth. To help people get through their hard times.

Tell us about your childhood? Having a father who was a millionaire you guys must really had the "good life".

My father was wealthy most of my life however I did not grow up with him. I grew up very poor with my mother and step father. I had to take on the responsibility of work at around the age of 13. My earnings went towards household bills. I grew up in a poor and rough area in Hammond Indiana. My mom, sister, and I lived with my grandparents for a few years and that was great. In 1976 my mom remarried and everything changed. I did not see eye to eye with my step dad and there was lots of conflict. At times coming close to being physical. My father on the other hand had another family and I was always the outsider there. He was a hard working man and a stern father. He was not great with showing affection but he was great at teaching me the value of hard work. As a child I only saw his faults possibly wanting more of a nurturing father but after I grew up I realized in his own way he taught me plenty about being a man that I didn't always see or realize growing up.


What things have you learned now being a father of your own? How has the relationship been with your kids.
My oldest daughter was taken from me by her mother and I didn't get to see her grow up. She sees the entire thing as I abandoned her. It was quite the opposite. I watch her life from afar but because of today's technology, I do at least get to watch. In my heart she will always be my first born but to her I am just no more than the sperm donor. My second marriage reaped two wonderful daughters that I did get to be apart of their lives. I tried to be like my mother and loving and like my father and teach. My children to the this day like most children don't always understand. However the do know that they are loved deeply by their dad and nothing ranks higher in my life than them. I have a fourth daughter that I just recently learned about and my children aren't aware of her. She is very loving and caring and I am sad that I didn't have the opportunity to be her father growing up I am certainly glad to be her father now. We have grown close and our relationship matures weekly.

Take us back to the night when your mother was murdered? 

And how did you overcome such a tragic experience

Receiving a call at 1AM and hearing the words Your Mother has been murdered is about as bad of a thing as you can ever go through. It took hours to get to the bottom of what was going on and to be honest it was probably the worst experience of my life. I was fortunate that it happened in a location that doesn't play around with justice. They immediately went to work to find and prosecute the killers. The entire process was well taken care of except for the fact that my sister and myself were kept out of the loop by the legal system. I guess it is human nature to sit and dwell on the bad things that happen. My mothers murder was tragic but there was some positive stuff that came from it. My mom had become ill and was most likely going to pass away that year anyway. She was due to suffer in many ways. Her death in our minds is horrible but she didn't suffer and it was very quick. Also my sister and my dad had not had a good relationship for the majority of her life. Directly brought together from this event, they have a wonderful relationship now. I still have trouble with a coward shooting and innocent older woman that was unarmed but you have to focus on the positive to move forward.


How did you manage to "get away" from the rough school and street environment. What was your outlet?  

It would have been easy to get involved with drugs or gangs but luckily I had a friend that went to a church down the road. He invited me to a function and I met a young lady on that adventure so I started attending the church and became very involved there. They had a wonderful youth program and I was there involved with something virtually every night of the week. I ended up getting baptized there and to this day so of my closest friends in the world were relationships made while attending that church.

When was your first big acting and film gig?

My first big acting or film deal was actually 21 Grams. I had a very small role in the prison as Benecio Del Toro returned to prison. I was in the cell next to him and I cut up with him all day. When the director was ready to film a large scene of the movie in the prison Benecio told him to call me back. I was then called back and we filmed a very difficult scene that ended up on the cutting room floor. 

When was that moment you realised this was what you wanted to do?

I realized that I didn't want to do this when I started getting calls for small roles for every movie that came to Memphis and roles on larger scale else where. People started acting like I was important and wanted to be around me or date me because of a chance I could make it big. My stories have always made people feel good and one day I realized that I could tell a story with a camera and not be famous from it. It was at that point that I wanted nothing else in life but to tell a story.
What are 3 major elements to a story that makes it an amazing piece?

First if you can make whoever is watching or reading your story forget about their problems or troubles. Then you have captivated them in your story. Second, If you can bring a surprise element to the story without them knowing it was coming. Third, If when they are done with the story they feel as if they spent that time reading or watching your story and it was valuable time spent not a waste of their time.

How do you come up with your stories, like what is your creative approach?

I honestly don't know how I come up with most of my stories. I have an over active brain that is always working on something. It never stops. I take great pride in the way I can develop a story. There is more than creating a story though, you must mold it into a story worth following. That can be the hard part. Molding the story into a worthy one.

You turned down a part in the Soprano's why?


I realized that if I were on the Soprano's that I would be famous. It was a very popular show at the time and it was not determined how big the character was going to be that I was called back for. I did not want to be famous. I just enjoyed acting. I did not return for my call back and walked away from acting for several years.


What is your favorite movie, story, and play of all time. 

My favorite movie. Well that is not easy to answer because I have several movies in different areas. In comedy I love My Cousin Vinny and Weekend at Bernies. I can watch them over and over again. I also like the Breakfast Club, The Green Mile, and Meet Joe Black. My favorite story is a movie that wouldn't be a good movie if it wasn't for the story of what happened bad during the movie. The movie is Jaws. We wouldn't like the movie if the shark would not of broken. The mystique of the movie is that we don't see the shark, we fear the music. That only happened because the shark broke. My favorite play is On Golden Pond. I saw it in Kansas City starring Don Knots. I wasn't happy about seeing the play but not only did he do a great job, but it was his birthday and I got to hang out with him back stage and celebrate. He was great.


What do you love about filming in Southaven Missisppi and Memphis Tn?

One I get to give possible opportunities to local actors and actresses that they might not get plus give inspiration to younger possible film makers, actors, actresses, directors, and editors. Also I can still be me and not have to act like Hollywood. I can just be Chip in Southaven.

You have a new movie coming out titled "In Jim Bob We Trust" tell us a little about it.

Originally the movie was to mock me mocking fake TV evangelist then I incorporated a young man that wanted desperately to be a famous actor. He had to pull out so I rewrote the movie. It is a story of two guys that have to take a road trip from Alabama to Minnesota. On their way they pick up a young lady who adds some trouble to the mix. One character purchases a shirt that is actually a priest shirt and they come up with the idea of sermons outside to raise gas money, food money, and hotel money. The crew adds two more helpers on their journey and all is going well until one of them gets a conscience.
You just landed a deal with Snackwell Cookie Company. Tell us about that?

Snackwell sent out a layout for a commercial to film makers. Their criteria was to appeal to women with something clever. I came up with an idea and we shot it. We were informed that we won out of several thousand entrants but since then we have sadly learned they aren't going to use our commercial because of a concern over the music in the background.


When you cast actors for your movies what do you look for?

Depends on the role. In our present movie I am taking seasoned actors and giving them a chance to stretch their abilities. I really look for not just someone that can play a part but someone who looks at the project with the same vision as I do. I also look for pleasant attitudes. I enjoy what I do and want to work with people who enjoy their work and life. I do not like to be around people that are not happy or think they are better than others. It isn't a good mix.


Is there any story or movie you didn't get to shoot or finish that your regret? 

Yes. Years ago I wrote a movie for Tyler Mane who was a friend of mine. He was looking for his big break and this idea came to me. He then got his break with the role of Sabertooth on Xmen and I never finished the story or shot the movie. I am now ready to write the screen play and film the movie. It is two or three projects down the road. I still would love to have him in the movie but I will film it with or without him in it.


You actually was offered a movie that was seeked out by LIFETIME movie network. How did you manage to land the deal over such a huge company. 

The movie is a true life story. The person that the story is about wants to make sure the story is told in the right way. Not that Lifetime wouldn't but they would own the rights and be able to change anything they wanted. She story is not about money but a story that needs to be told. This individual feels that Whistle Productions will tell the story with a positive perspective and not change anything to sell a story. She and I also had a mutual friend that was murdered the same week as my mom and liked the positive I looked at instead of the negative which is what she wants of her story.


If it was anything you wish your fans/friends could take from your art what would it be.

I tell a story so people can escape their troubles. I want you to laugh with me, cry with me, and feel with me but for that time of the story no matter how short or how long, I want you to leave your real story behind and enjoy the story. 

Any shout outs, sites, events, films just anything you want to tell the people of #V2?

First I thank God for giving me talent and vision. I thank my mother for being the greatest mother a child could ever have. I want to shout out to Beth. I will exclude her last name for now. Beth is my inspiration. When I am in a line that is moving slow or a traffic jam and I am flustered I stop and think of Beth. She lives a life of pain and unfair fear because of cancer. Beth does not complain or whine she smiles daily and thanks God for one more day. Beth is a hero. Beth is my muse, my inspiration to create. She pushes me to tell a better story. She makes me want to create something that can make her not feel pain while she sees it or reads it. Beth smiles while others complain for no reason. Every day that Beth is here on this planet is one more day that God Blesses me because she doesn't deserve what she has but she deserves so much because of how she deals with it. I truly love WWJD. I helps me a lot but honestly WWBD helps me to be the person I am today. Sometimes I wish God would just give the cancer to me and take it from her. Let her enjoy one day without it or a week or a month. I am not tough enough for it though and I am pretty tough for a guy. Beth is a real superhero. I also want to thank my beautiful daughters. Their love and accomplishments fulfill my life in a way they can't conceive. They are Gods greatest gift to me. I love them for how great they are in their own ways. They are amazing.