Breaking News

The Sit Down: Revisiting Jay DaSkreet.


We take a second sit down with the undeniable talent JayDaSkreet
This is the offiicial interview only at #v2







Whats been the day to day with Jay lately. Catch us up on your everyday? 

Basically it is one continuous grind... I'm up around 6:30 a.m. most mornings helping get my daughter dressed, then I head into work around 8 and get off around 7:30 or 8 p.m. Once I make it home I spend some time with my family before they go to bed and after they go to bed I'm usually writing, recording or listening to tracks to around 3 or 4 a.m. Then I get an hour or two of sleep and start the cycle all over again... Lol this is actually light considering that I have taken a break from shows while I have been getting these projects ready.

OK, of course the talk have been lately. Who is exactly Jay Da Skreet signed with?

Technically I am not "signed" to anyone in the sense that I have not placed my signature on any legal documents. I have a contract with SlimPro Beatz in regards to the songs and projects that we create together and their exclusiveness but in all other instances I have affiliations and "fam". My manager Velisa Woods the founder of RBS. Ent. handles the majority of my booking and appearances but she does so because we share a common goal and not because she is bound by contract. My home base of operations is Know Good Ent. Which is also my family. Know Good is more of a movement or an idea than it is an actual "Label". We promote each other and feature on each others tracks out of a mutual respect for each other and a common goal. I don't need anything on paper for me to do that for my fam. That also goes for SlimPro Beatz because we are like the dynamic duo when it comes to the music we create and we are dealing with each other because of the respect and love we have for each others talent and work ethics. At the end of the day im still an independent artist.

So you have two upcoming projects coming? Tell us about those

I am currently finishing up recording on two projects. The first is entitled "#No Chill". It is a listeners choice mixtape so to speak because the tracks and the topics came entirely from supporters and fans in my inbox and at my shows asking me to get on certain tracks and talk about certain subjects. I come from freestyling and wrecking other people tracks and alot of my long time supporters know this and always asked why I won't do a mixtape in that format. So I took all the suggestions that I was getting and put together a mixtape that I feel will please the majority of those that asked for it, as well as a few that didn't. I chose the name because when it comes to tracks and subjects I will kill absolutely ANYTHING!!

The second project is the somewhat highly anticipated "Walk The Line Vol. II". That will be the second installment of the WTL series. This will basically pick up where the first one left off while showing the growth that has taken place between the 2.It is but another step in the journey to the Detour that I have been creating from the grown up...

Walk the line 2 is on its way. Tell us how you've made it better. 

Its better because you can literally feel the growth that has taken place since my last project as well as hear it in every single track! Not just growth by myself either also the growth of my homie Christopher "SlimPro" Jerry who executive produced both Walk The Lines. We have both been perfecting our craft and coming back together for this project we are complimenting each other on a completely different level. We are doing almost everything within our own unit as far as recording, producing, promoting and we are also extremely lucky to have one of the greatest engineers I have ever had the pleasure of working with on board to give this project an exceptional sound quality. He goes by Rock Ali and it is phenomenal to have him on board. I also have one of the hottest most hardworking Djs period hosting it! I will be making that announcement later on...

What is your favorite song right now on Walk the Line 2 and which one you had the most fun doing?

With us still being in production it is hard to pick a favorite just yet, but I am really into Hardaway right now. It really speaks to where I am in my music career right now. When it comes to the most fun one I can definitely say it is my intro to the mixtape! Its just 100% of me coming out the gate letting everybody know what I'm here to do.

How has your growth been over the last year? As an artist, man and father.

I feel like I'm growing in leaps and bounds. As a man and a father everyday has its on challenges and rewards. Even though I grow through my music that's something I naturally excel at, but being a man and a father requires active work on myself constantly but I am still far from where I want to be in that aspect. As an artist I have grown out of the "approval" stage. I had to learn to value peoples opinions a little less. Even people closest to me because sometimes that's what you have to do to be true to yourself.

Explain the process and inspiration of the record "Key of Life"



Key Of Life is the brain child of Gregory Shaw aka The Don Gregory. He is a very talented man that happens to be an extremely gifted saxophone player. He let me know that he had a track that we should do together and sent it to me via Velisa. I listened to it and immediately wrote a song about life being a song and the only way it could be beautiful is if it were to be played in the right key. The Key Of Life so to speak. I went in with the idea that I would talk to the saxophone on the song and it would talk back to me. The conversation came out AMAZING! Madlove to The Don for producing that and giving me a chance to create something completely authentic. 

Who have you featured on your upcoming projects? Name some artists you want to work with?

I have several features on #No Chill but I wont release any names because I want that to be part of the experience of reading the tracklist, but so far for WTL II features include The Songstress Almarie, Crisis 901, Queat Harris and I even got my manager Velisa Woods on a track under her alter ego "V-Diddy". There are more lined up but I have to leave something for the imagination and the surprise of the listener. Lol I even have a few surprise features that won't be listed on the track list just in the credits of the project... As far as artist I would like to work with. That list would be so long and diversified it would probably take another interview. I love Eryka Badu and Pharrell for there creativity and I would also like to work with Busta Rhymes and Keri Hilson to name a few.

Walk The Line Vol. I received dope review from V2. How do you feel Vol. II will stack up against it?



I feel like progression is the key in music. Walk The Line Vol. I is a timeless classic but with that being said this is one time I guarantee that the sequel will be better than the original. The first time I was walking the line for YOU. This time I'm walking the line for ME and inviting you to walk along with me.



You recently let viralvoice here a sample of Walk the Line. Here is what they thought.

Sitting Down with Jay we can tell this project was a different monster. Just off his aura and what he gave us. Everything was more urgent more perfected and had to hit harder. He let us sit down with 3 of his upcoming records. Instantly you could tell his punches was harder and production was deeper, more refined. His deliverY was infectious on every record. One record stood out to me the most. DO IT BIG: It just had a major feel to it. The production was amazing and the lyrics and delivery was perfect. We are excited for Walk the Line 2. Even more excited for whats avenues Walk the Line 2 will open for the artist. 

Any big news or vents upcoming for Jay Da Skreet? Shouts outs

I recently had two songs picked up by IHeart Radio. The first was "Hello Lover" produced by SlimPro Beatz and the other was my latest single "Tunnel Vision". Both of which can be purchased and downloaded from Itunes or the Google Play store on android.I will be making an appearance on What's Happening Myron Show on V103.5 with Myron Mays. I am also a featured artist for the upcoming Springfest sponsored by RBS. Ent. I randomly pop up throughout the city showing love to open mics and multiple venues including Soul Speak at Mot's and Ed's and Strictly Hip-Hop sunday at Brinson's both on Madison Ave. 
The biggest event I have signed up for so far this year is Dreamfest. It was named Dreamfest because it is right around MLK weekend and because the founder had a dream to put on a show of various genres of music and showcasing talented local artists on a major stage with a respectable time limit. The upcoming Dreamfest that I will be featured on will be the 5 Year anniversary of this concert. Between here and there you can find me a little bit of everywhere creating and promoting great music... Until next time Expect Greatness.... Know Good.

LINK UP!