Breaking News

What's Happening in Memphis May 8-11

Memphis Nightlife
 So many people complain that there is nothing to do, yet every weekend I find myself with way too many options to choose from!   I can’t attend and review them all, though if they are recurring events I do plan to make my round to all of them eventually.

For more inclusive lists, you can try the I Love Memphis Blog and the Memphis Flyer.  I don’t claim to know all but here are some events that piqued my interest.


Thursday May 8th.

What: Welcome to the Red Hot Summer   A hip hop event. 

Where: The buccaneer Lounge 1368 Monroe Avenue

Why I am interested:  I am a proud supporter of the local arts scene here in Memphis, and though I love all music, there is a special place in my heart for hip hop.  I use the term hip hop to encompass the genre, not as a special form or designation for certain forms of music. I love it all from Mos Def to 2 Chains).  This show features a host of hot up and coming lyricists. Red Planet, YR Generation, Knowledge Nick, Justis, and Lurrel low.   A pretty amazing show, sure to be enjoyed by all but especially the hip hop purists

What : HypeLife Melting Pot:

Where:Brinson’s  on Madison

Why I am interested:  Hosted by spoken word extraordinaire, PhatMak, it’s a really chill and laid back atmosphere and there is always a good array of talent and good chicken wings. 

What: Thursday Duck Flights

Where:  Peabody Hotel  Corner Bar

Why I am interested: uh 20.00 flights of Jack Daniels Tennessee  Whiskeys.  Enuff Said.  Throw in the nice atmosphere you can’t go wrong.

What: Thursday Night Squared

Where: Overton Square Midtown 6-11pm

Why Im Interested:  The newly renovated square looks amazing Perfect for live music an drinking. Im not familiar with many of the musical selections (is a weekly happening)  but I am familiar with 5.00 covers and beer and wine specials set in the heart of Midtown.  A  nice alternative to the Peabody Rooftop set.

Friday  May 9th

What: Art On the Sidewalk benefitting LeBonheur Children's Hospital

Where: The Shops of Saddle Creek (its may 9th and 10th)

Why I am interested:  I went last year to support my friend and her company, PerfectPiece,  where she creates amazing and unique handcrafted copper and metal jewelry pieces.  She will be back with her addictive wares, along with lots of other vendors, food trucks, and art on the sidewalk! Its a benefit as well and something the whole family can enjoy.



What: Bristerfest!

Where: 1015 S Cooper Street,  Friday  Gates open at 5, all day Saturday and Sunday

Why I am interested:.  One of the biggest independent artist festivals in the Region with a lineup that truly reflects the diversity of the Memphis music and artistic scene,  plus. Im involved behind the scenes. You know its going to be great.

What : Locked and Loaded

Where: Zodiac Lounge (in the appletree cinema) 9pm

Why I am interested:   A monthly happening that presents up and coming artists on the local music scene with the Heavy Hitters Band.  It is one of the most consistent shows I have attended and I look forward to it each month.  The artists are always amazing and the band is always rocking.  This month features k97’s Next Big Thing Winner Tyke T, Donna White, Funkie Buddah and new comer, Rae Casan.


What: We on our Grown Folks SHHHHHH

Where:  Club infiniti 2536 N Watkins Street. Doors open at 10

Why Im interested: sometimes you just like to party and YoYo Munie knows how to party as his previous track record of packed events showcase.   Previously his parties catered to a younger crowd but this time he has teamed up with jack of all trades, AC Dutch to put together a party for the “grown folks” 25 and up.  If you looking for a place to just kick it old school  North Memphis style?  This is the place for you to be!
 
Saturday May 10th

What: BristerFest

Where: 1015 S Cooper St

Why Im interested:  Bristerfest kicks off early on this date and brings out all the stops.  Street Vendors, Food Trucks, live art and 3 full stages of entertainment. I will definitely be in the building.


What: HerGroove  2014: A celebration of womanhood

Where: Landers Center in Southaven,  9:30-5pm

Why Im interested: It’s a celebration of womanhood.. and to quote sojourner truth  “aint I a woman”?  it will feature live music, shopping and fashion. Three of my favorite things.. 

 What: End of the Weak Battle Royale Featuring IMBL Memphis' premier emcee battle league.

Where: 414 S Main Street  Doors open at 8pm

Why I am interested:  Its a producer beat battle, (a new show concept on the Memphis local entertainment landscape) that features several of the best up and coming producers Memphis has to offer. Add to that the always entertaining IMBL battle and you have a definite winner.  Check it out!

What: Symphony in the Gardens

Where: Dixon Gallery and Gardens

Why Im interested: the Dixon is beautiful and a perfect setting for a symphony. Its kid friendly and a nice change of pace for everything else going on in the city.
 
 


Sunday May 11th

What: BristerFest

Where:1015 S cooper

Why I’m interested:  Final day of Bristerfest, not much else competing with it and the last day is just as full of talent, diversity and activities. 


Meanwhile if you have an event you would like me to review?  hit the facebook inbox or email me at sdjonesjohnson@gmail.com

No comments