Breaking News

J. Young Presents Comedian PoundCake’s When The Sh!T Hits The Fan - Event Review


I was first introduced to Demario Hallowell, aka PoundCake, by my little sister.  She called me, in tears with laughter, and said “GIRL you gotta see this clip on Facebook!”  My sister was still rocking a flip phone, and didn’t have much use for social media so I knew for it to have reached her and for her to find it hilarious that it had to be epically ridiculous.  In other words, right up my alley!  LOL!

I checked it out and immediately fell in love with NeNe.  I realized there were a few other clips available and before I knew it, I was swept up in the world of Jeff, NeNe and Keisha.  

I started following PoundCake on Facebook and he was just as hilarious “in person” as he was as Jeff, NeNe and Keisha.  When I saw a flyer that said he had teamed up with Johnathan Davenport of Done By John productions and there would soon be an upcoming show….  I was ready.  As soon as tickets went on sale I bought them online, VIP.   Show was scheduled to start at 7pm and end at 9:30pm. 

We arrived about 7:30, because… life.   The place was PACKED. I was immediately glad we paid for VIP. Imagine my surprise (lol and the surprise of the people at the table) when we were shown to our table, where two people were already seated in the corner, to the right of the stage.  We actually had to sit on the stage steps to see the show.

During this time, Comedian Timbo was on stage.  He was hilarious.  LOL.. I still find myself randomly repeating his punch line “but who in the house , doe?” 

I ordered a drink and some wings from the waitress and decided you know, we did arrive late so I have to chalk it up.

After Comedian Timbo left the stage, another act, “Moufpiece” took the stage.  He was also extremely funny.   

There were a few issues with the mic during both sets but not enough to cause more than a minor inconvenience to the show.

Finally, PoundCake took to the stage.  He did about a 10 minute comedy set. He introduced his mom in the crowd, who was justifiably beaming proudly.   He came across as funny, humble, and just an all around genuinely good guy. 

Finally, we get to “When The Sh!t Hits the Fan”.  The way they set it up was genius. They used television screens with pre-recorded material of PoundCake in character as either Jeff, NeNe, or Keisha.  He would then interact with the televised character, live on stage.   MY FAVORITE parts were the Keisha rap song and the NeNe and Kiesha “check fest”.   I laughed till I cried.  Right as I was getting into the show and prepared to see how NeNe was gon’ react to the “Big News”, the show abruptly ended.   The promoter took to the stage to let us know that was the end and that they had another event starting at 10… so in other words…  “You don’t have to go home but you have to get the hell up out of there”.  It wasn’t quite 9:00 when this was announced.

PoundCake then took to the stage and thanked everyone. He seemed so amazed by the support and attempted to personally hug and thank everyone as we were exiting. He offered to take pictures at the back of the stage.

PoundCake is a good dude y’all.

Overall, the show was good.

Here are my main issues:

I thought I was going to be going to a show featuring PoundCake as Jeff, NeNe and Keisha.

What I got was a comedy show, with a Jeff, Nene and Keisha skit.

The comedy show overall was good, the comics and the skit were hilarious, it’s just not what I expected based on what was advertised.  The advertising did not mention that there would be any other comedians, nor did it mention anything about PoundCake doing standup.  I enjoyed it, but I expected more of my experience to be based on Jeff, Nene and Keisha.

I was also made aware that the reason the show was cut abruptly short was due to some technical issues.

I wish that would have been made known at the time and that there was some attempt made to apologize for it. Instead we were cut off and left wanting more... but not in a necessarily good way. 

It also made me feel “some kind of way” that the club had an event scheduled right after the show to the point that I felt like we were being kicked out.

This is on top of the fact that my food and drink never arrived and the waitress disappeared never to return again after taking my order.

Overall, I would definitely go and see PoundCake again.   For the show I’ll have to rate it 2 ways.

As a comedy show, I give it a 4.  The comedians were funny, the skit was hilarious.

As a visual experience for “When The SH!T Hits The Fan” as it was promoted?  I have to give it a 2, as it was only about 30 minutes worth of actual material devoted to the main act.  However, let me stress that the 30 minutes was HILARIOUS.  I am still singing Keisha's song in my head. 

For the venue?  Smh. It was nice. It was spacious but the customer service was terrible.   I understand that the staff was probably overwhelmed with the amount of people that showed up but that doesn’t change the experience.   I hope the next event is held somewhere that is better prepared for the crowd.

Meanwhile, I cannot stress how hilarious Demario Hollowell; (aka Comedian Poundcake) is, both in person and online. Follow him on facebook and be sure to check him out and subscribe to his YouTube channel, Mario Hallowell. Meanwhile Ive included a Jeff, Nene and Keisha clip for your enjoyment.