Breaking News

One and Only BBQ Review-Kirby Location


One and Only BBQ Review (1779 Kirby Pkwy Ste 2a, Germantown, TN)

So I’m born and raised in Norf Memphis TN by way of Binghampton (Vetted).  It’s a lot of things that I know because of this.  I know how to fight, play the dozens,  all the words to hurtsvillage Abc’s,  know what not to say to avoid a fight and the quickest and most efficient way to get one poppin. 

I also know good food and BBQ.  Now, there are many BBQ places I find “passable” or “fuck witable” but very few get more than that.  So when my sister called me raving about One and Only BBQ, I was skeptical, but since it’s literally right down the street from my office, I decided to try them out.

I visited them on 2 separate occasions. The first time I tried the beef brisket sandwich which was pretty good, I must say.  The meat was sliced and piled high. It was cooked well enough (not quite melting like butter, as is the mark of an excellent brisket) but it wasn’t dry and was quite flavorful.  The slaw was good and the sauce was a sweet, spicy mix that I enjoyed.   The bun could have been a bit more sustainable though as it seemed to almost melt under the weight of meat and sauce, and had to be eaten with a fork.

The second time I went, I was hungry as hell and ordered food like I was a newly freed prisoner of war coming off a hunger strike.

I ordered 3 smoked legs (in my defense the menu referred to them as "drummies"), a small BBQ chicken quesadilla, a pulled chicken sandwich and a piece of red velvet cake, banana pudding and a deviled egg.   Hey, only God can judge me.

The legs were over cooked and a bit dry. I probably won’t order them again.  The pulled chicken sandwich was really good. Unlike the smoked legs, the chicken was moist and the smoky BBQ flavor was all up and through the sandwich.  Yes.  Up and Through.  

I will definitely order that one again in the future.

I really, really enjoyed the BBQ chicken quesadilla though.   It was simple, fulfilling, and delicious.

Smoked chicken, cheddar cheese, melted together in a tortilla with the right amount of crispy.  I’m always here for meat and cheese in a tortilla. 

The deviled eggs were “eh” and needed some sweet dill relish added stat. 

The red velvet cake was an overall “eh” as well. Kind of dry and overall unremarkable.

The banana pudding though.  Now don’t get me wrong, this ain’t an old school Norf Memphis grandma pudding, but it’s close enough.  They ain’t using them Jackson’s vanilla wafers but they are most definitely using the base recipe, including the old school meringue on top.  It was surprisingly good. I took a bite the first night but the next day, that thang was alright.   That’s all I can say.

It’s a small space so it’s not good to visit during “high traffic” times of day as a sit in option.  The staff was friendly and the atmosphere is down home casual.

I give them a 3.5 out of 5 rating and a definite “fuck witable” stamp.  I will return, lol probably before this has been posted.  

No comments