Breaking News

Evergreen Grill-Food Review


Evergreen Grill

I visited Evergreen Grill when it first opened and I wasn’t necessarily impressed.  I did enjoy the fact that  Marcus Dorris, the owner, greeted my table personally (even though he had no idea who I was and I don’t think we were even Facebook friends at the time) and the atmosphere was chill so I figured I’d give it another shot.

Fast forward about 6 months later, my boo and I made a visit.  The visit was prompted by a post Marcus shared on Facebook that showcased seafood lasagna.   I apparently arrived too late because they were sold out and I was devastated.  I had instead the fettuccini alfredo and it was okay (that okay might be more than little tinged with the disappointment of missing out on the seafood lasagna).   Marcus greeted the table warmly and with Toni Braxton singing to me in the background combined with that glass of wine,   I started to feel a little better about missing out on the seafood lasagna and I decided to order dessert. 

Evergreen Grill 
That is the point that my whole experience changed. That damn German chocolate cheesecake was amazing. It’s not a traditional style cheesecake… so if you’re a purist you might have some issues. I don’t even like coconut but I was immediately hooked.  I’ve been trying to get my body ready for summertime so I couldn’t afford to partake regularly but… I KNEW I would be back. 

A couple of weeks ago, I saw Marcus post yet another picture of a lobster sandwich.  One of my favorite things from Restaurant Iris is the lobster knuckle sandwich and since Iris is not a place you can just “fall up on” … lol my ability to enjoy that sandwich is limited.  Marcus also announced on his Facebook page that he had introduced several new cheesecake offerings and I immediately decided to try it for lunch the following day.

I arrived for lunch around 1pm.  I seated myself and the waiter took a couple of minutes to arrive.  He was pleasant and took my drink order.   I placed my order for the lobster sandwich and potatoes. The music was great and just loud enough for me to enjoy without being intrusive.  I sang along to several songs before getting a bit antsy.   About 15 minutes had passed and I wanted to make sure I would be able to enjoy my food before making it back to the office.   After about another 10 minutes the waiter came by, filled my water glass and stated it wouldn’t be too much longer.  I told him to go ahead and box it up to go and run down the list of cheesecake options.  That day they had blueberry, chocolate mousse, banana pudding, and Peach cobbler.   I ordered the banana pudding cheesecake to go as well.   About 5 minutes passed and my waiter came back to deliver the distressing news that they were out of the banana pudding cheesecake... still no food.   I ordered the peach cobbler cheesecake instead and gave him a gentle nudge to say that I really needed to get back to work.   (The items are pictured in this post but the pics do NO JUSTICE to the food).

After about another 10 minutes, the waiter brings my food. Apologizes and leaves my ticket.  I pay for it and rush out the door.  I admit at the time I left, I was definitely more than a little pissed because I was hungry and late, and that’s always a bad combination!

So trust me when I say, that I was not in a pleasant and receptive mood when I took the first bite of that sandwich…

But that sandwich was good as hell!!  LOL   Chile, #wonthedoit?    The lobster was perfectly cooked.  It was not rubbery, as is sometimes the case with lobster and seafood dishes,  and seasoned well.  The bread was toasted and the tomato and spinach leaves were fresh and complimented the lobster perfectly.  I was not a fan of the potatoes; they were a bit underdone for my tastes.    However the sandwich was HUGE and I could only manage to eat half of it.

The cheesecake though.   Let’s take a moment of silence for it.    That cheesecake made me lose my religion and find it again!    I don’t know that it quite tasted like a peach cobbler but it was DELICIOUS.  I had to literally stop myself from eating it.  I gave my older co-worker a piece and she came back into my office about 5 minutes later with tears in her eyes and her voice shook as she asked me “Where did you get this from?!”…. 

My total with tax and tip for the lobster sandwich, potatoes, cheesecake and a drink was right under $30.00.  Considering the amount of food and the quality, I was not upset about it.

Overall I give the Evergreen Grill a 3 out of 5 rating.   I would recommend maybe an “express lunch” menu or having the server recommend “quick fix” options for those with a limited time frame.

I love the fact that the Marcus  is always working on improvement and each time my experience has been better than the last.   

Lastly.   That cheesecake. That is all. 

No comments