Breaking News

Food Review: Capital Grille (6065 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN)


So from time to time, I likes to treat myself to some upscale dining.   My daytime persona requires that I entertain clients and executives from time to time, so I am always looking for new spots that showcase Memphis and “show” well for my clients.  Also, hell, I love food and swank just as much as I love hood. The double consciousness of the negro and all of that jazz.

Now my preference is for local owned business but I’m not a complete snob and I check out the chains from time to time.  I have heard good things about Capital Grille and since it is not far from my office I decided to give them a try for lunch.

Capital Grille Memphis
(I always try really expensive restaurants for lunch or during happy hour first.. to make sure it’s worth the astronomical price tag that is often attached to the dinner menu and/or  squeeze in some upscale on an affordable budget)

So I get in my car and traipse on over.  I pull up and the complimentary valet, greets me warmly takes my keys and offers to hold my hand to assist me as I get out of the car. I graciously accept and head to the door.

The host confirms that I am dining alone and shows me to my table.  My waiter immediately appears, as if by magic and fills my glass with water.   He hands me the menu and took my drink order.

I ask what he recommends and he recommends the lobster pot pie and the tenderloin sliders. I take a moment to look over the menu and take in my surroundings.  Soft jazz in the background, dim lighting,   quality linens and plate settings… all very posh and upscale.

I order the tenderloin sliders and the parmesan truffle fries and that was accompanied by a cup of New England clam chowder.  This was one of the “plate” options offered for $18.00

The food arrived rather quickly, in fact my entrée arrived ahead of the soup.  Not that it was an issue for me!  I was a little taken aback that my slider combo only included two… and about 12 fries.

The sliders were excellent.   The tenderloin was cooked to perfection and melted like butter. The brioche buns were soft yet toasted and provided just the right amount of bread to meat ratio…  I hate too much meat or too much bread on a sandwich. The parmesan fries were pretty good, though not as remarkable as I had hoped.

The soup was good but by the time it arrived I could only manage 1 or 2 bites.

The waiter came by to offer dessert... I almost accepted but at $10.00 per plate minimum… I declined. 

Lunch with tax and tip included put me at $30.00.


Overall, my experience was very nice.   However, for $30.00 I have definitely had better experiences at other restaurants with similar quality at a lower cost.  They are a little past the price point on the quality and cost matrix. 

However, the customer service was excellent and the food was good.  I give them a 3 out of 5 on the ratings scale and a recommendation with the following caveat…

The experience is nice but try some of our local upscale offerings first… especially for dinner.   Restaurant Iris and Earling Jensens immediately come to mind.